For what it’s worth…a WUDS tribute.
If you’ve been to Trash Radio Manila, you probably read that WUDS’ had just celebrated their 25th year anniversary. Wuds is a Pinoy punk band formed in early 1983 (?). With 5 full lengths and maybe a few singles spanning their entire career, Wuds has become one of the icons of Pinoy punk, one of the best there is in my opinion. They might have steered away from the punk sound they’ve become known for with their later material, but the ideals are still there, and the music is still great. Awesome song writing and very original lyrics. Most dealing with the ills of our everyday lives. Last time I saw them live was at Weslu’s 1st year death Anniversary at Purple Haze bar. They were not slated to play that night, but they played a few songs before the gig proper just to pay tribute. Very fine people, I must say.
This post here is my tribute to them. I’ve compiled a couple of songs from each of their albums for everyone, especially those who haven’t heard them yet, to sample. Just a few that will probably get you into their music. Here’s the tracklist. Enjoy punks!
* from the compilation Fatal Response (RL & HB III) (TRC-06)
– Patay Buhay
– Inosente Lang ang Nagtataka
* from the album Arms Talk (TRC-05)
– Teachers and Cheaters
– Ang Mga Bata
* from the album Oplan Kahon (Criminal Records)
– Peace Be With You
– No Excuses
* from the album At Nakalimutan ang Diyos (Akasha Records)
– No Flag No Race
* from the album Gera (Tone Def)
– Society in Conflict
– Sa Loob ng Gulong
* from the album Nakaupo sa Puso (Tone Def)
– Walang Ibang Paraan
– Bulong ng Pangalan
* Title was borrowed from Alfred Guevarra’s article on the 1st issue of Herald X entitled For What It’s Worth – WUDS: Our Story.